Sunday, June 2, 2013

BE YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND, AND OTHER TIPS FOR TRULY HEALTHY LIVING

    

I originally started formulating this post as let’s get healthy, with healthy eating tips, when I remembered some things I have been learning lately – nutrition things – the first and foremost being that healthy food for some, just isn’t healthy for each and everyone of us. Remember, we’re all individuals with individual and very different bodies, taste and chemistry! Let’s take tomatoes as one food example, They are loaded with Lycopene, a well-known antioxidant that is touted to fight various types of cancer. EAT LOTS we all think, and I do, in all their forms – fresh, sun-dried, canned and paste in whatever form I can get them!  Until I eat too many. The seeds are my enemy.
They taste good to me, eating them makes me feel good.  But for others, tomatoes can cause a myriad of problems –from digestion problems to acid reactivity on the skin and in other bodily tissues. And, the same can be said for many other foods…  I’ve been learning that, along with other interesting information, in Lyn-Genet Recitas’ book, The Plan, an eating plan I am trying - and having great results.  I will detail more of my experiences with this plan in another post, along with one of my favourite tomato recipes, I have mentioned previously, “Mediterranean Seafood Stew” So, I’ve learned, healthy eating can be a bit challenging at the best of times, figuring out fact from fiction… and one person’s absolutes from what will work in each of our very different bodies!
          However, healthy living is relatively universal.  Once we discover the “healthy foods” that work for us, as individuals, the rest should come fairly easily. Live in a way that makes us happy, partaking in activities we enjoy, spend as much quality time with friends and family and friends as we can and here’s one thing I, personally, do almost ad infitum … DREAM!  
Dream of where you’d like to be, where you’d like your life to be, physically, professionally, and mentally. Then, once you have that locked down, try to come up with more details, like HOW you may be able to achieve that dream (I like to call it a goal or goals). It may take more dreaming to complete the job, but, WHATEVER!
           Another thing that’s important to healthy living, no matter who you are or where you’re from or what your dream is, and, that is to not dwell on the negative.  So, you’re not rich, nor do you live in a mansion.  So, you’re not Ryan Reynolds, Cindy Crawford. Nor do you have the career of Sidney Crosby or Usher.  And you’ve yet to be named on anybody’s “best” or “most” list!! You’re YOU.  And, what’s more, there’s not one single body or being on this planet like you!!  You’re unique as you are. One unto yourself and should be on your, own “best and “most” list!!
       One other thing I’ve learned from my own personal setbacks, tragedies and triumphs, and which you’ve likely noticed, too, on your own journey.  Those who you thought were your friends, often are NOT!  Yet, I know now not to be discouraged by that, because it is those same people who will come through at the last second and show their true feelings, often saving you from a deep, dark spot.
       One of the most important things I think I’ve learned as a key to healthy living is… be your own best friend and be a great best friend to someone else.  Also, enjoy spending time with YOU!
          I’m at risk here of nattering on and on, but, really enjoy yourself,  and enjoy your own company and surround yourself with like-minded people and positive-thinking people, don’t get dragged down by other people’s S#$%&!
          This next suggestion you may find a bit tedious.  I adopted it recently after analyzing how I got through what seemed the endless days at hospital and rehab.  There, I tried to methodically go over and over the things I had to be thankful for, and in doing that, I was forced to admit and accept what was happening to me… remember, I found I couldn’t read, so magazines and books were out of the question! Visits from family and friends were wonderful little windows of pure joy!  I was, in effect, compiling a gratitude journal, which is what I do now, physically, in an actual journal and include three reasons for each WHY I’m grateful. That brings a new dimension to the exercise.  For those who haven’t, please, give it a try, you’ll be surprised how great you’ll immediately begin to feel. For those who do it already, you know what I’m saying.
          And, it, seems, true happiness leads directly to healthiness… I know it’s not just me!!  As this happens, you’ll feel the effects inside and see it happening on the outside. 
Stay healthy and safe!
Sandra

1 comment:

  1. awesome post, Sandee! Your comment about becoming your own friend reminds me of my favourite poem in the whole world. It is by the Nobel Laureate, Sir Derek Walcott who is from St. Lucia, and it is called Love After Love. It is all about coming to appreciate yourself -

    The time will come
    When, with elation
    You will greet yourself arriving
    At your own door, in your own mirror
    And each will smile at the other's welcome,

    and say, sit here. Eat.
    You will love again the stranger who was your self.
    Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart
    to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

    all your life, whom you ignored
    for another, who knows you by heart.
    Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

    the photographs, the desperate notes,
    peel your own image from the mirror.
    Sit. Feast on your life.

    ReplyDelete